[TYPES] decidability/confluence of beta-eta convertibility in Church-style STLC

Derek Dreyer dreyer at mpi-sws.org
Fri Aug 10 11:48:01 EDT 2012

Thanks, Sam!  I think what you suggest here works.  (You still have to
prove the "key property" you mention separately, by that seems to go
through by a relatively straightforward induction on typing
derivations.)

Gilles Barthe also pointed me to Herman Geuvers' LICS'92 paper (and
also thesis), which proves the theorem I'm after in a more general
setting (for the class of "functional, normalizing PTS's"):

http://www.cs.ru.nl/~herman/PUBS/LICS92_CRbh.ps.gz

http://www.cs.ru.nl/~herman/PUBS/Proefschrift.ps.gz  (see Chapter 5,
which contains an expanded/revised version of the proof in the LICS
paper)

FYI: According to Geuvers, the confluence counterexample I gave is due
originally to Nederpelt (1973).

Thanks,
Derek