[TYPES] decidability/confluence of beta-eta convertibility in Church-style STLC

Derek Dreyer dreyer at mpi-sws.org
Tue Aug 14 06:04:58 EDT 2012

Hi, Thorsten.  Yes, I'm well aware that the theorem (and proof) I was
asking for are not very robust in the sense of being scalable to
richer type systems, and using beta-eta normalization to implement
equivalence is not very practical algorithmically.

But in the particular case of Church-style STLC, I thought the proof
of confluence of beta-eta normalization was a standard (old?) result.
However, the only reference I can find is the Geuvers paper from 1992,
which presents a much more involved proof for the more general class
of PTS's.  I'd be glad if anyone can point me to an older reference
containing the simple proof that Sam suggested.

Thanks,
Derek