[TYPES] The type/object distinction and possible synthesis of OOP and imperative programming languages

DeLesley Hutchins delesley at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 01:55:59 EDT 2013

I'm not quite sure I understand your question, but I'll give it a shot.  :-)

The C/C++ model, in which the types are anchored to the machine hardware,
in the exception, not the rule.  In the academic literature,  "type theory"
is almost entirely focused on studying abstract models of computation that
are purely mathematical, and bear no resemblance to the underlying
hardware.  The lambda calculus is the most general, and most commonly used
formalism, but there are many others; e.g. Featherweight Java provides a
formal model of objects and classes as they are used in Java.

"Types and Programming Languages", by Benjamin Pierce, is an excellent
introductory textbook which describes how various language features,
including objects, can be formalized.  If you are interested in OOP, Abadi
and Cardelli's "Theory of Objects" is the obvious place to start, although
I'd recommend reading Pierce's book first if you want to understand it.
 :-)  Abadi and Cardelli discuss both class-based languages, and pure
object languages.  If you are interested in the type/object distinction in
particular, then I'll shamelessly plug my own thesis: "Pure Subtype
Systems" (available online), which describes a formal model in which types
are objects, and objects are types.  If you are familiar with the Self
language, then you can think of it as a type system for Self.

Once you have a type system in place, it's usually fairly straightforward
to compile a language down to actual hardware.  An interpreter, like that
used in Python, is generally needed only for untyped or "dynamic"
languages.  There are various practical considerations -- memory layout,
boxed or unboxed data types, garbage collection, etc. -- but the basic
techniques are described in any compiler textbook.  Research in the areas
of "typed assembly languages" and "proof carrying code" are concerned with
ensuring that the translation from high-level language to assembly language
is sound, and well-typed at all stages.

  -DeLesley