[TYPES] The type/object distinction and possible synthesis of OOP and imperative programming languages

Jamie Andrews andrews at csd.uwo.ca
Fri Apr 19 21:16:39 EDT 2013

Hi Bob and others...

      It seems to have been Floyd, in his Turing award lecture, who
popularized the use of the term "paradigm" in reference to programming
languages.

      Floyd cites Kuhn's _The Structure of Scientific Revolutions_ in
the text of the lecture.  Kuhn had a specific use for the word
"paradigm" which is not particularly close to the original dictionary
definition (in the book, he apologizes for the appropriation of the
word).  However, the way in which Floyd uses "paradigm" in his Turing
award lecture is closer to the original meaning of the word, and is
similar to what we would now call a "design pattern".

      Despite all this, most of the discussion of "programming
paradigms" that I remember from the 1980s and 1990s seems to have taken
place with Kuhn's definition lurking under the surface.  This discussion
seemed to assume a sort of striving between paradigms, that would result
in one becoming the "dominant" paradigm.  This may have reflected no
more than the recognition that programming languages ranged from "wildly
successful" to "virtually unused, even by the inventor", and the desire
to be the inventor of a wildly successful language (or a co-author /
student / colleague of the inventor).

      The current relative popularity of programming languages shows
that even a poorly-designed language can be very popular, for no better
reason than that it was once allied with a well-designed operating
system popular in universities.  So the word "paradigm", with its heavy
Kuhnian overtones, is probably no longer useful.

      What Floyd seems to have intended to point out is that some
paradigms (read: design patterns) are easier to use in some programming
languages than in others.  I think this is the really interesting point
that the programming language community has actually been pursuing all
along, and that the "paradigm battle" has been an annoying distraction.

      It is certainly possible to define programming languages that
combine imperative, functional, logic-programming and object-oriented
features.  Many such languages have been defined in the past.

      Why is research into such languages not the dominant mode of
programming language research?  Perhaps it is partly that such languages
tend to have large grammar definitions that extend over several pages
(so does C++, but never mind).  But partly it may be that the "paradigm
battle" has led to people wanting to avoid seeming to encourage or
accept a reconciliation between the supposed enemies.

      I really like new programming languages that give programmers the
opportunity to use many different paradigms (again read: design
patterns), to use new paradigms, and to mix and match paradigms in
interesting new ways.  I also like programming languages that do not
have several-pages-long grammars.  There is a certain dynamic tension
between those two goals, of course, but it seems to me that some of the
best programming language research balances those goals well.

cheers
--Jamie.