[TYPES] Declarative vs imperative

Procter, Adam M. (MU-Student) adamprocter at mail.missouri.edu
Tue Apr 23 11:51:28 EDT 2013

[re-sending now that I'm subscribed with the proper return address; hopefully it won't auto-reject my post this time :)]

On Apr 23, 2013, at 2:21 AM, "Mark Janssen" <dreamingforward at gmail.com> wrote:

> But there are no details left out.  Neither the computer nor compiler
> "fills in the gaps".  What computing devices are you talking about?
> At every step, at the various levels of abstraction, from the
> high-level source code, to the the binary executable, there is a
> complete and detailed "transformation" logic.   It will compile down
> to the same machine code *every* time, if it's working properly.

Are you claiming, then, that all those fancy optimization flags I can pass to my C compiler don't actually do anything? Or that (say) -fomit-frame-pointer is unfaithful to the "complete and detailed transformation logic"? Better file a bug report.

Really, I just don't understand what you're trying to say here.

Adam