[TYPES] [tag] Re: Declarative vs imperative

Sergei SOLOVIEV soloviev at irit.fr
Sun May 5 07:23:03 EDT 2013

To add a bit in support to Uday's remark about "presumption of
supremacy" of classical logic:

In fact, it is well known that classical logic can be embedded in
intuitionistic logic
using, for example, negative interpretation (classical "exists" becomes
\not\forall\not etc.)
 From the point of view of provability, the interpretation of a
classical theorem is provable
intuitionistically if and only if the original theorem was provable
classically.
So, what is bad rationally, if instead of respectable "exists" we shall
say "it is
not true that for all x does not exist..."? It is clear, that it is a
"bad publicity",
a less "convincing" way to say - bad for "supremacy", but it has nothing
to do
with scientific rationality itself. (Constructive mathematics is just
more subtle
concerning existence.)

Best regards

Sergei Soloviev