[TYPES] [tag] Re: Declarative vs imperative

Kalani Thielen kthielen at gmail.com
Sun May 5 17:04:24 EDT 2013

Thanks for the response.  Maybe I should have stated my question at the start instead of at the end, because I think that I might have been a bit unclear.  Let me try again.

If |A->B| = |B|^|A| and ~A = A->_|_ then e.g. |~Bool| (a continuation on a Bool) = |Bool->_|_| = 0^2 = 0.  This seems to imply that there are 0 continuations on Bool values (or any other non-empty set, though there's still the identity function _|_->_|_ = 0^0 = 1).

I'm sure that my interpretation or expectation is wrong somewhere (I'm just an uneducated country programmer, like I said) and I'd appreciate somebody setting me straight.

I don't think that we need to worry about induction/coinduction, as there's no reference to recursive types here.  The considerations about CBV/CBN and Turing-completeness forcing _|_ into all types can be set aside too, I believe, by just considering the translation of classical logic (as described in e.g. Timothy Griffin's "A Formulae-as-Types Notion of Control") in the simply-typed lambda calculus.  Consider just CPS-transformed boolean functions then, where the only source of "non-termination" is in your expectation that invoking a continuation produces 0 values (i.e.: it never returns).

Are there 0 continuations, or am I miscounting them somehow (or should counting not apply here)?  I'm just very curious to develop intuition about "classical types" a bit more, since I've found them to be very useful and reasonable in other respects (and as I said, I'm sure that it's just my intuition that's wrong or confused here).

Thanks.