[TYPES] Types of expressions in dynamic languages: "un-typed" or "uni-typed"?

Sean McDirmid smcdirm at microsoft.com
Wed Jan 8 05:09:19 EST 2014

It is difficult to sort any type system into a simple easily named bucket.

I see Python (and Ruby, Javascript) as dynamically and structurally typed. Static structural typing and dynamic nominal typing are completely sensical for other languages (especially the former, the latter is possible even if it lacks examples).

I reserve "untyped" for languages where you don't even get a decent message-not-understood run-time error (e.g. a memory corruption in C on doing something bad to a void*). Untyped is much weaker than a safe dynamic language that crashes more elegantly (and more easily debugged) when a type error occurs.

I agree that the concept of uni-typing isn't very useful; it doesn't tell us very much about the real typing properties of the language.