[TYPES] types

Sean McDirmid smcdirm at microsoft.com
Mon May 12 18:33:46 EDT 2014

There are two places where I have seen types used prescriptively rather than restrictively.

(1) Type-based implicit resolutions in languages like Scala.

(2) Code completion in IDEs that is enabled by type information; types are typically used to filter choices for the programmer's "next move."

(2) is more of a tooling concern, but it is important enough to be a first class concern in production languages (i.e. language features are evaluated based on how they help/hurt code completion).