[TYPES] decidability vs completeness

Jon Sterling jon at jonmsterling.com
Sat Aug 23 22:15:39 EDT 2014

Bob,

That was a wonderful answer; thank you for drawing the distinction
between H >> M:A and H >> M in A. Previously, I'd always considered
those just two notations for the same idea, and nuprl/ctt just had
additional axioms the judgement synthetic. But it is much more elegant
to just consider them two very different judgements.

After reading this, I have been thinking about what it would look like
to have a decidable type theory which keeps the cheap syntactic typing
judgement, but also has a notion of semantic membership. This could be
done by tweaking observational type theory (Altenkirch/McBride) to have
more interesting rules for its propositional equality, which could then
in its reflexive case represent membership.

Of course, the fact that the derivations of realizers get reified in the
terms means that this is no different from plain ott (a syntactic mere
approximation of the Truth), but in the same way that ott allows you to
express (with no small degree of difficulty) the true equality of things
propositionally, it might also allow you to express (with an equal
degree of difficulty) non-trivial membership for subset types,
intersection types, etc. In order for any of this to work, the equality
type has to be reformulated to be defined over untyped terms like in
nuprl, and if this were done, I think it might also be possible to
express something like the bar types in this setting, but I am not
certain of that.

Of course, the desire to do any of this syntactic stuff seems to derive
from a conflation of the logical framework with the type theory, but it
might work for those who have already agreed to pay the full price for
itt.

Kind regards,
Jon

--