[TYPES] When types appeared in programming languages

Simone Martini simone.martini at unibo.it
Wed Oct 14 05:26:31 EDT 2015

Last year, there has been a thread on this mailing list on the role (and concept) of types in programming languages, started by this msg of Vladimir Voevodsky:
	http://lists.seas.upenn.edu/pipermail/types-list/2014/001745.html

Stimulated from that thread (which showed that there was little consensus on when types appeared, and with which meaning), I wrote a little essay, suggesting that the emergence of the concept of type in computer science is relatively independent from the logical tradition, until the Curry-Howard isomorphism will make an explicit bridge between them.

I presented the paper last week at History and Philosophy of Computing 2015, in Pisa.

	http://arxiv.org/abs/1510.03726

Comments, remarks, and especially critiques would be much welcomed from the members of this list.

Best,
-s.
Simone Martini
Universita' di Bologna
Dip. di Informatica - Scienza e Ingegneria
Italy

www.cs.unibo.it/~martini