[TYPES] When types appeared in programming languages

Simone Martini simone.martini at unibo.it
Sun Oct 18 06:39:40 EDT 2015

Dear Patrick,

Joe Goguen’s paper is a fine piece of work, which observes and classifies the use (and role) of types in PL from a semantical perspective (types as “sets”, as “algebras” and “theories”).

Once could be tempted to say that these three “types” correspond to what I call the "technical concept”, the "general abstraction mechanism” and the types from mathematical logic.
But I believe this would be a post festam reconstruction.
Until the turn from the ’60s to the ’70s (and thus papers by Goguen, Hoare, and of course Liskov) there are no real “types as algebras” around.

Of course, the “types as theories” are the “types of logic” (at least one particular way to understand them), independent from the Curry-Howard isomorphism, but they arrive on the scene in the 80s…

Best regards and thank you for sharing with us your observations.

-s.