[TYPES] semantic coherence for simply typed lambda-calculus

Gabriel Scherer gabriel.scherer at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 07:32:39 EST 2017

Paolo, I had the exact same argument in mind, but I think that
beta-normal forms don't cut it when you have types of both
polarities. Consider for example the β-normal form

  (match x with
    | inj₁ () -> λy.t
    | inj₂ () -> λy.t
  ) (u)

This does not satisfy the subformula property, as the principal type
of the "blocked" redex ((λy.t) u) is arbitrary.

You need your notion of reduction to have enough commuting conversions
to recover the subformula property. A sequent-calculus presentation
gives this for free (there are ugly-but-simple sequent terms for this
calculus in my thesis manuscript, Section 4.1.4,
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/gasche/phd_thesis/scherer-thesis.pdf;
a proper abstract machine calculus would be more elegant), or looking
at cut-free focused term also does the job – completeness of focusing
then embeds the suitable normalization procedure.