[TYPES] Meaning explanations and the invalidity of the law of excluded middle

Andrej Bauer andrej.bauer at andrej.com
Fri Oct 13 02:14:34 EDT 2017

Dear Bruno,

the problem with your argument is that inside type theory you cannot
extract the Godel code of an argument from the argument, and so your
outline of a proof won't work. That is, we cannot derive

H : Π(e : nat) (Σ (i, x : nat) T(e,i,x)) + ¬(Σ (i, x : nat) T(e,i,x)) ⊢ empty

because for that we would need to go somewhat like this:

1. Suppose we have such an H.
2. Then there is a (a code of) Turing machine e which computes like H.
3. We diagonalize against this e, and we get a contradiction.

You cannot pass from 1 to 2 in type theory.

With kind regards,

Andrej