[TYPES] Meaning explanations and the invalidity of the law of excluded middle

Bruno Bentzen b.bentzen at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 16 11:22:28 EDT 2017

Dear Paolo (and all),

>For those interested in more details, the same

>argument was laid out by Thierry Coquand.

>This thread (linked from nLab) clarifies why it
>does not apply to meaning explanations

Thank you very much for this nice observation!

For the record, it took me some time but I am now fully convinced that the argument I outlined here in this thread must necessarily fail for reasons that can be seen both from the perspective of syntax (as Andrej has pointed out) or semantics (as explained by Jon). (In both cases, it seems to me that the situation looks a bit like Skolem's "paradox" in set theory: internally we can show that there is no bijection from IN to IR, but externally the theory has a countable model.)

First, we can see that the do not have access to the syntax of the theory internally, so we do not have a criterion to construct the Gödel numbering function internally, even though we know externally that this function exists (besides such a function should also respect judgmental equality and assign the same Gödel number to judgmentally equal terms).

Second, the reason why the meaning explanations cannot invalidate the law of the excluded middle is because they do not circumscribe the collection of all possible programs (in other words, the collection of terms is left open-ended) so they cannot rule out that oracles could be also programs. Simply put, Church's thesis is not accepted internally, even though it is true externally.

Last but not least, I want to thank all of you who took the time to discuss and help me to understand these fascinating issues!

Best,

Bruno

--

Bruno Bentzen