[TYPES] Statement of structural induction

Ben Sherman sherman at csail.mit.edu
Sat Jan 6 19:44:53 EST 2018

Hi Richard,

You may be interested in the following papers:

http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~peterd/papers/Wellorderings.pdf <http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~peterd/papers/Wellorderings.pdf>
Peter Dyber
Representing inductively defined sets by wellorderings in Martin-Löf's type theory
1996

http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~peterd/papers/ESSLLI94.pdf <http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~peterd/papers/ESSLLI94.pdf>
Thierry Coquand and Peter Dyber
Inductive definitions and type theory - an introduction
1997

In general, the sizes of structures can be represented as ordinals, and termination arguments can be described as demonstrating that recursive calls always occur on strictly smaller ordinals. The finite ordinals correspond to the natural number sizes that you refer to.

Your type [ty] is exactly what is known as “Brouwer ordinals,” which serve to represent countable ordinals (though I’m not sure of their exact relation to countable ordinals). There is a close relationship between Brouwer ordinals and W-types, which with a single set of judgments/axioms can encode likely all of the inductive datatypes that you’re thinking of (though schemes like induction-recursion require more complicated types than W-types, and I believe also more complicated ordinals than Brouwer ordinals).

Ben