[TYPES] Statement of structural induction

Albert R Meyer ameyer at mit.edu
Sun Jan 7 15:02:57 EST 2018

We teach our students that it is a bad idea to replace structural induction
on recursive data types by integer induction, even when this is possible.
A reason for this is illustrated by the attached excerpt on win-lose games
from our text "Mathematics for Computer Science," where reduction to
integer induction is actually not possible.  The full text is available for
download at
   https://learning-modules.mit.edu/materials/index.html?uuid=
/course/6/fa17/6.042#materials

Yours truly,