[TYPES] Statement of structural induction

Paolo Giarrusso p.giarrusso at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 10:45:32 EST 2018

Since I (and maybe others) understand structural induction better than transfinite induction, I now wonder if one can use structural induction to understand better both specific uses of transfinite induction and proof-theoretic ordinal analysis.

Has anybody written, say, an introduction to ordinals for the Coq programmer or some such thing? Googling found little,* maybe because this seems pointless to people who do understand ordinals. But maybe such a presentation would be more accessible to computer scientists used to proof assistants?

For instance:

(1) can one define the proof-theoretic strength of an inductive datatype, such as Richard’s example?
(2) Gentzen’s proof of consistency for PA translates derivations in PA to infinitary derivations in PA_\omega [1], and then requires transfinite induction up to \epsilon_0. Could one just use as structural induction on an inductive type of PA_\omega infinitary derivations?

(2b) In fact, if I try to encode PA_\omega derivations in Coq (pseudocode) naively, the result looks similar to Richard’s datatype (though more indexed) — there’s one premise with an argument per natural:

Inductive derivation Gamma Delta :=
| omegaR : forall F Gamma Delta, (forall n, derivation Gamma (F n : Delta)) -> derivation Gamma ((Forall x, F x) : Delta)
| omegaL :
forall F Gamma Delta, (forall n, derivation (F n : Gamma) Delta) ->
derivation ((Exists x, F x) : Gamma) Delta

* Forall x, F x

*The best answer seems to be Emil Jeřábek at https://mathoverflow.net/a/61045/36016, saying (IIUC) that ordinals can be understood as trees, but pointing out those trees are more complex. But some still prefer structural recursion even when it can be translated to induction on naturals, so maybe the same applies here.

[1] I’m following the presentation in https://www1.maths.leeds.ac.uk/~rathjen/Sepp-chiemsee.pdf.