[TYPES] Statement of structural induction

Dan Doel dan.doel at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 00:24:52 EST 2018

So, you're probably on your way to new understanding. But, I thought I'd
present
a couple quibbles with the way you described your understanding of
induction, in
case they could help when reading the papers and whatnot.

First, your description of induction on the naturals sounds like a
procedure for
enumerating proofs for every possible value. If this is indeed, the
intention, I don't
think it even requires ordinals to break down. For instance, consider
arguing that
the length function on lists is justified. Unless you can enumerate the
type of the
_elements_ of the list, there is no way to enumerate all lists. You can't
enumerate
all the lists of real numbers. So it seems like any tying of induction to
enumeration
of the underlying type is doomed to failure.

Rather, the claim of (forall n. P n) is that for any choice of n, we can
calculate a
proof P n. In type theories, this works exactly like recursive definitions
are
expected to work. Inspect n. If it's 0, use the base case. If it's 1+m,
make a
recursive call with m, and apply the successor case.

The other quibble is why you believe (forall n. P n) is justified, even
given your
description. Yes, for finite n, we can accomplish this procedure in finite
time.
Presumably this means that you believe all natural numbers are finite. This
presumably means you also believe that there is a lack of ability to
construct
self-referential values, so that for instance m in my above description is
'smaller'
than n.

But this is the same reasoning behind well-founded trees (ordinals, your ty
type,
...). There is no ability to construct self-referential trees, so the
function that you
get from t = Mk f must produce smaller trees than o itself. And recursion
consuming any particular well-founded tree takes finite time, so (forall t.
P t) is
justified.

For instance, copying the finite naturals into ty is a function producing
all finite
values:

    embed : nat -> ty
    embed 0 = Ax
    embed (S n) = Suc (embed n)

Of course, the apparent self-reference in embed is really sugar for
recursion on
the natural numbers. All the values produced by `embed` are lesser than
`Mk embed`, and the idea is that the system is constructed so that this is
always
the case. Any `Mk f` was necessarily produced by defining f to produce
values
that cannot include `Mk f` themselves.

The other piece is a generalization of your function. When you see `Mk x`,
you
call x with 2. So, even though `Mk embed` cannot exactly be given any finite
height, because embed produces arbitrarily large values, you only request
the
one with size 2. The generalization is that when we proceed recursively by
applying:

    lim : (forall n. P (x n)) -> P (Mk x)

the argument is simply bundling up the recursive call as a function, and
lim is
only capable of calling it at finitely many values of finite size. So the
trace of
constructing the proof of `P (Mk x)` only proceeds down finitely many of the
infinite choices of branches, and each of those branches are well-founded,
and
take finite time to complete, by hypothesis. (This probably gets a little
more
complicated if P itself is like a function, so it can choose how many
branches
to use based on an argument; but then for each choice of argument, a finite
number of branches is followed, and it doesn't take infinite time to
'construct'
a function just because the domain is infinite.)

Trusting/proving these properties of the system isn't trivial, but it must
be done
to justify even induction on the natural numbers. It may be a bit harder to
see
why you should trust them for more complicated well-founded trees, but the
arguments are kind of fundamentally the same.

Cheers,
Dan