[TYPES] A new take on bracket abstraction, and a historical question about the first take

Gabriel Scherer gabriel.scherer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 08:11:59 EST 2018

Dear Oleg (and list),

Thanks for the reference to your work, which I didn't know about. Below is
a question.

You highlight that your translation to a the combinator calculus is
compositional.
This is also a property of the Categorical Abstract Machine of Guy
Cousineau, Pierre-Louis Curien and Michel Mauny (1987). They used a
combinator calculus extended with tuples and projections, which corresponds
to a syntax for morphisms in cartesian-closed categories, and makes it easy
to represent the environmnet as nested tuples and variables as
de-bruijn-index accessors. Can your compositional translation be understood
as a curryfication/de-tuplification of the CAM compilation strategy (you
remark that your semantics has a currified environment)?

(Your De Bruijn presentation is more general than the one used in the CAM,
as you represent the "successor" operation S as a general term combinator
corresponding to weakening, which suffices to express some of Turner's
optimisations. I suppose that the question makes precise sense only when
you restrict your system to use S on "variable" terms of the form (S^n z),
and don't use your rule Abs0. But any scope-related typing rules could
easily be taken into account by an optimized CAM translation, so you could
also compare your system with such an optimized CAM.)

Best