[TYPES] What algebra am I thinking of?

Philip Wadler wadler at inf.ed.ac.uk
Tue Mar 27 10:27:24 EDT 2018

Thank you for all the replies, and for reminding me of bags,
rigs/semirings, and modules.

In a rig, what corresponds to the notion of monus?
  _∸_ : ℕ → ℕ → ℕ
  m          ∸ zero      =  m
  zero      ∸ (suc n)  =  zero
  (suc m) ∸ (suc n)  =  m ∸ n
Is monus defined for every rig? (While zero and suc are defined in every
rig, it's not immediately obvious to me that definition by pattern matching
as above makes sense in an arbitrary rig.) What are the algebraic
properties of monus?

James' suggestion of bags with delete is spot on. I would prefer delete to
be total rather than partial, so that deleting an element not present in
the bag leaves the bag unchanged. If a bag is a free commutative monoid,
then how does (total) delete come into the picture? Does it have an
algebraic characterisation?

Cheers, -- P

.   \ Philip Wadler, Professor of Theoretical Computer Science,
.   /\ School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh
.  /  \ and Senior Research Fellow, IOHK
. http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/wadler/