[TYPES] What algebra am I thinking of?

Francesco Gavazzo francesco.gavazzo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 06:41:50 EDT 2018

I am not sure whether the following is the correct definition of a monus,
but following Neel (as well as the analogy with natural numbers) one could
look at monus in a monoid as right adjoint to monoid multiplication. In
particular, any quantale has monus, given by 'implication'.
This can indeed be found in Lawvere's 1973 paper, as well as in any
introduction/paper on quantales and/or generalised metric spaces. Another
relevant reference could be Chapter II of  Monoidal Topology, by Hofmann,
Seal, and Tholen. More generally, any paper dealing with V-categories (or
quantale-categories) provides relevant information on such algebraic
structures.

Best,
Francesco