[TYPES] breaking abstraction with ML exceptions

Oleg oleg at okmij.org
Thu Mar 29 05:35:07 EDT 2018

I'm in agreement with Derek. In OCaml at least, one can quickly gets
used to the fact that an abstract type does not mean a fresh or a
globally unique type. An abstract type may turn out equal to something
rather concrete. If one needs something globally unique, one should
use generative functors (and extensible data types, as Gabriel indicated).

Your example is a good illustration, in case of exceptions. But I would
not blame exceptions per se: for example, references may just as well
reveal the identity of what looks like an abstract type.

A side remark first: I would find your example more compelling
(at least in OCaml) in a slightly re-written form:

exception C
module F(S:sig exception A end) = struct
  let r = try raise S.A with C -> 42
end
let module M = F(struct exception A = C end) in M.r  (* 42 *)

The body of the functor receives some abstract exception A, and is
able to find out it is being equal to something concrete.

Here is the similar example with references:

let x = ref 100
module F(S:sig type t val y:t ref end) = struct
  let r =
        let xold = !x in
        x := xold + 1;
        let ynew = !S.y in
        x := xold;
        if not (!S.y = ynew) then print_string "t was int"
end
;;
let module M = F(struct type t = int let y = x end) in M.r;;

Again, the body of the functor was able to find out that the abstract
type t is actually an int. So, if the test comes out positive, by
assigning to S.y (and then reading from x), the functor can find the
`true' value of any value of the supposedly abstract type t.

I have learned of this trick from a rather old message, which I
append for the sake of history. That message showed the SML code.