[TYPES] What algebra am I thinking of?

Valeria de Paiva valeria.depaiva at gmail.com
Tue May 22 18:36:49 EDT 2018

Hi Neel,

Still on the subject of Lawvere's metric spaces and generalized logic, I
think many people knew about it. I, for instance had a paper from 1991,
which you can read in
https://www.slideshare.net/valeria.depaiva/a-dialectica-model-of-the-lambek-calculus,
which has the Lawvere example of the natural numbers N as a model of
multiplicative linear logic LP, as a folklore example that Pino Rosolini
told me about. But yes, I was not looking for traces then.

cheers
Valeria

> Neel Krishnaswami wrote:
> >

> > [ The Types Forum, http://lists.seas.upenn.edu/
> mailman/listinfo/types-list ]
> >
> > Hi Phil,
> >
> > I learned about this from Martin Escardo, and he told me the observation
> > about monoidal closure is in Lawvere's paper "Metric Spaces, Generalized
> > Logic, and Closed Categories".
> >
> > One further observation I have not seen written down anywhere is that
> > the natural numbers also support a trace (ie, feedback) operator, since
> > it is also the case that x + y ? z + y if and only if x ? z.
> >
> > This means that the Geometry of Interaction construction can be applied
> > to the natural numbers, which yields a preorder of pairs of natural
> > numbers (n,m). In this case, two objects have a map between them if
> > one object is greater than the other, viewing each object (n, m) as the
> > signed integer n - m.
> >
> > As a result, I've sometimes wondered if the Int construction got its
> > name as a bit of a joke!
> >
> > Best,
> > Neel
> >

> > On 27/03/18 21:02, Philip Wadler wrote:
> > > [ The Types Forum, http://lists.seas.upenn.edu/
> mailman/listinfo/types-list ]
> > >

> > > Thanks to all for further replies, and especially to Neel for his
> > > observation about monus and monoidal closure. Neel, is this written
> down
> > > anywhere? Cheers, -- P
> > >
> > > .   \ Philip Wadler, Professor of Theoretical Computer Science,
> > > .   /\ School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh
> > > .  /  \ and Senior Research Fellow, IOHK
> > > . http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/wadler/

> every

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2018 11:07:19 +0000
> From: Alejandro D?az-Caro <alejandro at diaz-caro.info>
> To: types <types-list at lists.seas.upenn.edu>
> Subject: [TYPES] System F and System T names
>
> Dear Type-theorists,
>
> Does anyone know where do the names System "F" and System "T" comes from? I
> am not asking who introduced those names (Girard System F, and G?del System
> T), but what the "F" and the "T" means.
>
> Kind regards,
> Alejandro
> --
>
> http://diaz-caro.web.unq.edu.ar
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2018 13:03:17 +0100
> From: Neel Krishnaswami <neelakantan.krishnaswami at gmail.com>
> To: Alejandro D?az-Caro <alejandro at diaz-caro.info>, types
>         <types-list at lists.seas.upenn.edu>
> Subject: Re: [TYPES] System F and System T names
>
> Hello,
>
> 1. In "The system F of variable types, fifteen years later", Girard
> remarks  that there was no particular reason for the name F:
>
>     However, in [3] it was shown that the obvious rules of conversion for
>     this system, called F by chance, were converging.
>
> There may be another explanation in his thesis, but I haven't read it
> [...]

Valeria de Paiva
http://vcvpaiva.github.io/
http://research.nuance.com/author/valeria-de-paiva/
http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~vdp/