[TYPES] Progress + Preservation = Evaluation

William J. Bowman wjb at williamjbowman.com
Fri Jul 6 15:47:24 EDT 2018

I think the canonical reference for this is Wright Felleisen 1994, https://doi.org/10.1006/inco.1994.1093. They have a history in the introduction showing many prior versions, although most don't talk about evaluation directly.

They call "evaluation" "type soundess", in various forms, where the evaluation
function reprenents the ground truth semantics for the language, and the type
system is a syntactic proof system.
"Type soundness" is meant to indicate that the syntactic semantics (proof) is
sound w.r.t. evaluation semantics (truth).

--
William J. Bowman