[TYPES] correctness of closure conversion for untyped lambda calculus wrt. denotational semantics

Neel Krishnaswami neelakantan.krishnaswami at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 05:58:15 EDT 2018

Hi Jeremy,

One approach to closure conversion which I like very much is
the observation that when you defunctionalize a normalization-
by-evaluation algorithm, you get a translation into an explicit closure
representation.

I learned this from Chapter 3 of Andreas Abel's habilitation thesis [1],
where he abstracts NbE from domains to partial applicative structures,
and then shows that a closure calculus forms a partial applicative
structure.

This might be too operational for you, but since the line between
operational and denotational approaches can get pretty blurry, perhaps
it is of interest.

[1] <http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~abela/habil.pdf>

Best,
Neel