[TYPES] Equi recursive types: logical relations and intuition

Gabriel Scherer gabriel.scherer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 06:32:16 EST 2018

In the theories you have in mind, how do the fixpoint operators on terms
and types deal with degenerate fixpoints like (fix x . x) and (mu alpha.
alpha)? If your iso-recursive type theory allows the term (fix x. fold x)
but your equi-recursive type theory forbids (fix x . x) or its type, you
have a difference between the two systems. If they are allowed in both
cases, do they reduce in the same way?