[TYPES] Reduction ordering on terms of simply-typed lambda-calculus compatible with beta-reduction

Ahmed Bhayat ahmed.bhayat at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Jan 7 06:02:46 EST 2019

Thank you James,

It does not appear to meet the requirements. As a reduction ordering is being sought, compatibility with contexts is required. Consider the following terms:

1) t1 = ^x. (f x x) and  t2 = (f a). As we do not have that t1 -->beta t2 or t2 -->beta t1, an arbitrary decision must be made as to the ordering. Choose t2 > t1. But, then in the context []a, [^x. (f x x)]a -->beta [fa]a and thus by compatibility with beta-reduction [t1]a > [t2]a contradicting compatibility with contexts.

Further, as a reduction ordering is sought, the ordering must be well-founded. Making an arbitrary decision does not ensure this. Consider terms:
2) t1 = (^x. f x x x x)t and some arbitrary term t2. By compatibility with beta-reduction we must have t1 > f t t t t. We then make an arbitrary choice and have  f t t t t > t2. If by another arbitrary choice t2 > t1, well-founded has clearly been lost.

Regards,

Ahmed