[TYPES] Gödel's T extended with an eta-like rule for the recursor

David CHEMOUIL David.Chemouil at onera.fr
Tue Feb 5 06:42:56 EST 2019

Dear Ansten,

[Okada and Scott 1999] is certainly the paper to read here. The abstract
goes:
" Uniqueness for higher type term constructors in lambda calculi (e.g.
surjective pairing for product types, or uniqueness of iterators on the
natural numbers) is easily expressed using universally quantified
conditional equations. We use a technique of Lambek [18] involving
Mal'cev operators to equationally express uniqueness of iteration (more
generally, higher-order primitive recursion) in a simply typed lambda
calculus, essentially Godel's T [29,13]. We prove the following facts
about typed lambda calculus with uniqueness for primitive recursors: (i)
It is undecidable, (ii) Church-Rosser fails, although ground
Church-Rosser holds, (iii) strong normalization (termination) is still
valid. This entails the undecidability of the coherence problem for
cartesian closed categories with strong natural numbers objects, as well
as providing a natural example of the following computational paradigm:
a non-CR, ground CR, undecidable, terminating rewriting system. "

[Okada and Scott 1999] A Note on Rewriting Theory for Uniqueness of
Iteration
http://www.tac.mta.ca/tac/volumes/6/n4/6-04abs.html

Best regards,

david