[TYPES] Example uses of impredicativity

Martin Escardo m.escardo at cs.bham.ac.uk
Sat Jul 6 03:44:43 EDT 2019

One example is the powerset P X of a type X, defined as the type X ->
Prop of functions into Prop. Without the impredicativity of Prop, you
are not able to construct a function P(P X) -> P X that gives the union
of a set of sets. Also Prop itself wouldn't be a complete lattice with a
join function P Prop -> Prop in the absence of impredictivity. Martin

--
Martin Escardo
http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~mhe