[TYPES] In a letter to the US White House, ACM opposes free distribution of peer-reviewed journal articles

Roberto Di Cosmo roberto at dicosmo.org
Fri Dec 20 13:08:07 EST 2019

Thanks Gabriel for bringing this to this list: it was indeed shocking to see ACM
(and many other learned societies) in the list of signatories of this letter.

The fact that many small learned societies do not feel ready to jump into a pure
open access model right away does not justify their signature on a letter
containing highly debatable (that's an euphemism) statements like the ones you pinpoint.

By a curious coincidence, I got almost at the same time an ACM newlsetter (Blue
Diamond) containing among other announcements, this one:

    ACM OPEN: A New Transformative Model for Open Access Publication

     Over the past year ACM Publications staff have been working collaboratively with
     a group of large research universities in the United States to develop an
     entirely new and innovative model for Open Access publication that has the
     potential to transition ACM into a predominantly Open Access publisher over the
     next decade or sooner.

You can find details of the proposed model at https://www.acm.org/publications/openaccess#acmopen

Cheers

--
Roberto

--
Roberto Di Cosmo

Computer Science Professor
            (on leave at INRIA from IRIF/University Paris Diderot)

Director
Software Heritage                https://www.softwareheritage.org
INRIA
Bureau C328		     E-mail : roberto at dicosmo.org
2, Rue Simone Iff          Web page : http://www.dicosmo.org
CS 42112		    Twitter : http://twitter.com/rdicosmo
75589 Paris Cedex 12	        Tel : +33 1 80 49 44 42