[TYPES] Open Access petition to the ACM - please sign!

Roberto Di Cosmo roberto at dicosmo.org
Wed Jan 8 13:37:01 EST 2020

Hi Peter,
    thank you for signing: this kind of pressure is quite needed to move
things forward :-)

I plan to come back with a more detailed explanation of the pitfalls we
need to avoid, which indeed do not emerge necessarily clearly from Nadia
Eghbal's account: in a nutshell, when looking for long term sustainability,
we need to make sure we take into account all the labour and costs that too
often go unseen, and look for a solution that is properly architectured to
produce economies of scale, and funnel the benefits back to stakeholders,
not shareholders.

In this respect, I feel the "transformative" plan for Open Access that ACM
put forward almost the same day it signed the infamous letter, contains a
potentially good idea that needs investigation (and of course, clearer/more
transparent cost calculations :-))

--
Roberto

Computer Science Professor
           (on leave at INRIA from IRIF/University Paris Diderot)

Director
Software Heritage             E-mail : roberto at dicosmo.org
INRIA                            Web : http://www.dicosmo.org
Bureau C328                  Twitter : http://twitter.com/rdicosmo
2, Rue Simone Iff                Tel : +33 1 80 49 44 42
CS 42112
75589 Paris Cedex 12

GPG fingerprint 2931 20CE 3A5A 5390 98EC 8BFC FCCA C3BE 39CB 12D3