[TYPES] Guide to best practices for virtual conferences

Benjamin C. Pierce bcpierce at cis.upenn.edu
Tue Apr 14 11:05:41 EDT 2020

Thank you for these comments, Tadeusz!

The discussion around Zoom has been developing quite fast, and the task force is considering whether a change in recommendations is appropriate. For the moment, we will include links to discussions of its security and privacy issues.

As to the larger issue of whether we should be putting energy into virtualizing conferences at all (vs. throwing away the whole conference model), there is obviously room for a larger discussion here, and I hope others will chime in. My own sense is that the conference model is already in the process of changing in fundamental ways, as the short-term pressure of COVID-19 amplifies the long-term pressure of climate change (which we were already beginning to take seriously). Exactly what the new steady state will be in a few years or a decade is hard to predict, but I think it’s likely to include both a stronger role for asynchronous modes of communication (things like journals but also personal web sites, Arxiv, YouTube channels, etc.) as well as forums for synchronous communication that support a range of interaction styles — structured and unstructured, planned and serendipitous, large group, small group, and 1-1, etc. We may even call the latter “conferences.” :-)

Best,

    - Benjamin