[TYPES] effect vs. coeffect expressiveness

Michael Arntzenius daekharel at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 15:45:17 EDT 2020

Dear Jonathan,

> Or are there examples that can only be expressed
in one style--or for which expression in the other style is much more
awkward?

I was about to conjecture that I had an example of something that could
only be expressed as a coeffect, but reading Dominic's reply I've realized
I was wrong. I still offer it, though, as a concrete example of something
that I think would be more awkward to express as an effect:
non-monotonicity in an otherwise monotone world. I can only hope this isn't
too obscure to be interesting :).

The gist here is that, if we assign each of our types a partial order, and
track for each function whether it is monotone with respect to this order
or not in its type, then we can determine for each variable used in an
expression whether it is used monotonically or not. This lets us track
monotonicity in our type system. This involves associating information with
the context – namely how each variable is used – so it is in essence a
coeffect system.

For full details you can read the ICFP 2016 paper "Datafun: A Functional
Datalog". (This doesn't mention coeffects explicitly; I didn't notice the
connection at the time.) I believe this is also similar to how
variance/positivity checking in proof assistants works.

It is also possible to express this as an effect, following the recipe laid
out in “Should I use a Monad or Comonad?”. To do this, interpret our types
as pre-ordered instead (i.e. drop the requirement that a type's order is
antisymmetric). Then a non-monotone map A -> B can be represented by a
monotone map A -> indisc B, where "indisc" is the "indiscreteness monad",
which makes (x <= y : indisc B) always true! So this makes non-monotonicity
into an effect; in essence, purity = monotonicity, impurity =
non-monotonicity.

But this approach makes working with functions that are monotone in some
but not all arguments awkward. For example, a function f : A -> B -> C that
is monotone in B but not A must be typed A -> indisc (B -> C). This is not
equivalent to A -> B -> indisc C, which does not guarantee monotonicity in
B. From an effect-based POV, the former requires the "effect" to occur
before the function has even seen the value of type B. With most effects we
rarely care about details like this, but in Datafun we care a lot. So for
our use case, I think a context-oriented coeffect view is more convenient
for the programmer.

In wonder if this generalizes? Perhaps, if you find yourself working with
values of type T(A -> B) often, where T is a monad, it might be more
convenient to work with an equivalent coeffect system instead, should one
exist.

Cheers,
Michael Arntzenius