[TYPES] artifacts for double blind submissions: what about copyright?

Francis Davey fjmd1a at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 14:06:07 EDT 2020

On Sun, Jun 21, 2020 at 1:42 AM Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy at inria.fr> wrote:

> ]
>
> Exactly.  And in case there was any doubt: copyright applies to anonymous
> or pseudonymous works, there is no requirement that the actual names of the
> authors are revealed.  See
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Anonymous_works .

It is also worth saying that this is a fairly robust principle that pretty
much all jurisdictions will apply this rule.

It used to be the case that some jurisdictions (the USA being a late
holdout) did require formalities of some kind for protection of copyright
(in the USA registration still has some benefits, but I doubt it will
matter to you).

So the copyright should be yours from the moment you write it.

There are some subtleties about anonymous works, in particular where the
author cannot be found, but again I doubt they would be of any relevance to
you.

There idea that you need a (C) type statement persists though.

(A long, long, time ago I did a PhD in theoretical computer science, but I
am not an intellectual property lawyer, so I felt rather more confident
contributing this answer).

--
Francis Davey