[TYPES] online conferences should be free (was: global debriefing over our virtual experience of conferences)

Talia Ringer tringer at cs.washington.edu
Sun Aug 23 10:14:12 EDT 2020

I don't know about PLDI, but there are some costs associated with online
events. For example, automatic captioning software is still not very good
(Google's always turns "proofs" into "fruits" for me). Live captioning is
really expensive! But it's also hugely important for disability
accessibility.

For students, ICFP was essentially free. I do agree that in principle,
online conferences should be free, and online components of hybrid
conferences should be free or strongly discounted. In practice, though, I
do think that will mean finding sponsors for hidden costs that really are
necessary.