[TYPES] online conferences should be free (was: global debriefing over our virtual experience of conferences)

Henning Basold h.basold at liacs.leidenuniv.nl
Sun Aug 23 15:23:15 EDT 2020

I would like to add another way of covering costs that is often used in communal places: Anyone gives whatever they can, which may be nothing. This assumes of course some fairness and some transparency about the costs.

The problem with the LICS model is that it also prevents publication for some people, if they cannot collaborate with someone who has money.

That things with a higher price are perceived to be to of higher quality is unfortunately true. But do we have to reproduce this kind of marketing within our scientific community?

Lastly, I would like to also mention the excellent journal LMCS (logical methods in CS), which has a very strong board and rolling deadlines. This journal implements many of the suggestions already successfully.