[TYPES] global debriefing over our virtual experience of conferences

Buday Gergely István Buday.Gergely.Istvan at szie.hu
Mon Aug 24 03:09:47 EDT 2020

  Related to this, I quote from my unpublished manuscript:

This year the conferences are mostly held online. In the computer
science research community we should discuss the

  question whether organizers should relax the requirement of physically

  attending conferences if you wanted to publish. The business model
of journals

  is a heated debate, so could be the conferences. Why build a paywall for

  publications that does not go to reviewers but to the hotel,
catering and travel industry?

  In poor regions going to expensive conferences is a problem.

  The drawbacks of online conferences are obvious, but the advantages
are also. Why

  attend a conference if you are interested only in a section and you
can follow

  it through online broadcast?

  Interestingly, even before we thought anything about a possible
pandemic, there

  were voices of not holding that many conferences, due to the concern of the

  ecologic footprint of long-distance flights \cite{Vardi-Publish-and-Perish}.
https://doi.org/10.1145/3373386

A response on twitter says

  \begin{quote}It's a noble goal to reduce the CO${}_2$ footprint.
However, if you made physical attendance optional, neither
universities nor companies would support conference participation. A
decrease in physical attendance would also likely make conferences
financially infeasible. \cite{Leidner-declining-conferences}

  \end{quote}

  I disagree here: conferences might morph into something we haven't seen yet,

  new business models can arise but the need for scientific discussion and

  publications will keep them alive. Online conferences let isolated

  researchers to participate and possibly joining distributed research groups.

  An interesting outcome would be the merge of journals and
conferences, as it is

  exemplified by the Proceedings of the ACM on Programming Languages, which

  published papers from premier conferences like the Principles of Programming

  Languages (POPL).

  A conference held online this year, Logic in Computer Science already

  changed how we do a conference: participants are expected to watch

  presentations recorded in advance, letting more time to discuss research at

  videoconference time.

  A reviewer raised my attention about the drawbacks of moving
conferences online:

  it is more difficult to build new friendships online, it is harder
to get ideas from

  hallway discussions, no matter there are hallway Zoom channels for
us. Another

  viewpoint is that funding organizations would spend less on
conferences and so

  scientic life would be less human and more mechanized, as other
parts of our life.

  Less discovering the world, less reward for spending much time in
front of your laptop.

  That reviewer finds this effect on our culture risky.

  ---

- Gergely

Idézet (Jon Sterling <jon at jonmsterling.com>):