[TYPES] online conferences should be free (was: global debriefing over our virtual experience of conferences)

Julia Belyakova julbinb at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 19:12:17 EDT 2020

To add on the topic of value for money.

On one hand, I agree that people who pay might participate more actively
and consume more of the conference content.

On the other hand, if a lot more people join a conference for free but
participate in a small number of events, that does not seem to be a
necessarily bad thing. Of course, if 1000 people register and nobody
participates in anything, that's a disaster. But if out of those 1000, you
have 100 active people at a time, it's probably no worse (or even better)
than 50 fully committed participants at all times.

--
Kind regards, Julia