[TYPES] [EXT] Re: online conferences should be free

Nicolai Kraus nicolai.kraus at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 03:21:46 EDT 2020

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 7:02 AM Reuben Rowe <reuben.rowe at rhul.ac.uk> wrote:

> However, as Kristina has pointed out (and this is my experience as
> well), it is often difficult to fully commit to being present, and also
> to "do the homework". In particular, I am at home, I have not booked
> time off specifically for the conference, I have on-going other
> responsibilities, my colleagues contact me about this and that, etc.

I agree that this is true at the moment, but I don't see why it has to stay
true in the future. Why can we not book time off for an online conference?
Why do we feel free from other on-going commitments when we are at a
physical conference but not when we are at an online conference? Why can we
not "do the homework" when we expect our students to do ti? Whenever things
change, we have to adapt and change our attitudes. Maybe that's hard, but I
don't think it is as difficult as solving the issue of global warming.
There are many small and easily implementable things that could help us.
For example, some universities have "writing retreats" where one can go to
some other place (which can actually be very close) and write without being
distracted; I have never tried it, but I am very happy to believe that it
works. Similarly, a university could offer a bookable special room for
online conferences, so one would be "somewhere else," and the rule would be
that whenever one has booked the room, one should be treated as if one was
at a physical conference. If finding the time for watching talks is an
issue, one could simply let the virtual conference start two days earlier
and keep the first two days completely free so that everyone who hasn't
done it at that point can catch up with the talks. I know that everything
you said is a real issue (which I also know from my own experience), but I
don't believe that these things are unsolvable problems.

> The temptation is to assume that one can log on to the scheduled
> sessions, and get on with other stuff in the meantime. However, I think
> it is much harder to justify (perhaps both to one's employer and also to
> oneself) ignoring the non-conference commitments when there exists, at
> least ostensibly, the opportunity to fulfill them.

Yes, of course I know what you mean; but this "only" requires a general
attitude change, which I think is definitely possible.

Nicolai