[TYPES] Announcing a "types" Zulip Chat, experimental for now

Gabriel Scherer gabriel.scherer at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 10:07:38 EST 2021

Dear types-list,

On a suggestion from Philipp Haselwarter ( https://haselwarter.org/~philipp/
), I created a Zulip chat for the Types community:
  https://typ.zulipchat.com/

Zulip is an in-browser chat platform that is being used by several research
communities around us, for example:
- Lean: https://leanprover.zulipchat.com/
  (archive: https://leanprover-community.github.io/archive/)
- Coq: https://coq.zulipchat.com/
- category-theory: https://categorytheory.zulipchat.com/login/
  (archive: https://mattecapu.github.io/ct-zulip-archive/)
- Julia: https://julialang.zulipchat.com/login/
- a "functional programming" Zulip that seems mostly Haskell-centric for now
  https://funprog.zulipchat.com/
  (archive: https://funprog.srid.ca/ )

Zulip ( https://zulip.com/ ) is free software. Most of the development
comes from a company, Khandra Labs, that offers paid hosting on *.
zulipchat.com.
They provide free hosting for open-source or academic projects, which is
how the Types Zulip is hosted.

This is an experiment, to be revisited in a few months if it proves too
hard to deal with or people are dissatisfied with the platform.
In the meantime, please feel free to join!
Of course you can also stick to types-list if you prefer email.

Ideally I would prefer for membership to increase smoothly (this will be my
first experience as a public Zulip moderator), so I would recommend that
you share the link to your colleagues, but not yet on open social-media
platforms (Reddit, etc.) during March. We can tell the whole world on April
1st. (This could also be an occasion to advertise the types-list itself in
our communities; I'm told it is not as widely known as it should.)

Zulip offers a semi-structured chat model (with topics/threads) that may be
amenable to producing fruitful technical and scientific discussions. I will
try to enable archiving soon, so that the content written today can help
people in the future, just like the current types-list archives.

Happy chatting