[TYPES] What's a program? (Seriously)

Jason Gross jasongross9 at gmail.com
Wed May 19 21:52:33 EDT 2021

>  If you ask for for a proof of (A \/ not A), you get a "fake" proof of
(not A); if you ever manage to build a proof of A and try to use it to get
a contradiction using this (not A), it will "cheat" by traveling back in
time to your "ask",  and serve you your own proof of A.

I don't understand how this semantics works; it seems to me that it
invalidates the normal reduction rules.
Consider the following:
Axiom LEM : forall A, A + (A -> False).

Definition term1
  := match LEM nat as LEM_nat return _ -> match LEM_nat with inl _ => _ | _
=> _ end with
     | inl v => fun _ => v
     | inr bad => fun f => f bad
     end (fun bad => let _ := bad 0 in bad 1).
Definition term2
  := match LEM nat as LEM_nat return _ -> match LEM_nat with inl _ => _ | _
=> _ end with
     | inl v => fun _ => v
     | inr bad => fun f => f bad
     end (fun bad => bad 1).
Lemma pf : term1 = term2. Proof. reflexivity. Qed.

However, if I understand your interpretation correctly, then term1 should
reduce to 0 but term2 should reduce to 1.

Another issue is that typechecking requires normalization under binders,
but normalization under binders seems to invalidate the semantics you
suggest, because the proof of A might be not be well-scoped in the context
in which you asked for it.  (Trivially, it seems like eta-expanding the
proof of fake proof of (not A) results in invoking the continuation if you
try to fully normalize a term.)

What am I missing/misunderstanding?

Best,
Jason