[TYPES] Diamond open access, cost and sustainability model: a JOSS example

Marco Servetto marco.servetto at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 17:14:40 EDT 2021

>giving a cost of $14 per submission. I think that's okay.
> Plus, a large share of these costs are fixed, they would not go up with the
> number of submissions, so we could setup our journals as arxiv overlays
-Yes
A donation to arxiv of 300$ for a workshop and 1k for a conference is
likely to cover all of their costs. If I were to chair an event as an
"arxiv overlays" I think donating that kind of money would be a simple
and sustainable way forward.... note how it is less than what an
average participant pays for the air ticket alone.

Overall, what is the real difference between
A- actual conference proceeding published conventionally
B- a well formatted website with a bunch of links to arxiv articles

In the end, what gives credibility and value to our work is the
voluntary and amazing process of peer review,  validated and monitored
by a committee of world experts in the specific research field.

In this internet age, what is the value added by a publisher? I've
never understood that.

Marco.