[TYPES] Annoucement: release of Java Typestate Checker

Antonio Ravara aravara at fct.unl.pt
Thu Sep 9 11:00:34 EDT 2021

We are glad to announce the first release of Java Typestate Checker
(JaTyC [1]), a tool to statically check that class methods are called in
a prescribed order, specified in a protocol file associated with that
class. Our tool ensures that client code conforms to the specification,
guaranteeing protocol compliance and completion.

Our teams, composed by Lorenzo Bacchiani and Mario Bravetti from the
Bologna University (Italy), and by Marco Giunti, João Mota and António
Ravara from the NOVA School of Science and Technology (Portugal), have
joined forces and, building on previous work of each team, developed
support for subtyping. In particular, this has been done by adapting a
synchronous subtyping algorithm (with error detection) used in the
general synchronous/asynchronous session subtyping tool presented in
[2]. Our typestate checker can now safely handle polymorphic code,
although in this first version in a limited way.

You can find a quick installation guide at
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://github.com/jdmota/java-typestate-checker__;!!IBzWLUs!D49C1U2m4kDdL_vDqxPSXoh_enomFqulAw4YpasAQ8bFJo1aVIuvKSoeGO_dl-F-HC9mWn7f-vI$  and further
documentation at
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://github.com/jdmota/java-typestate-checker/wiki/Documentation__;!!IBzWLUs!D49C1U2m4kDdL_vDqxPSXoh_enomFqulAw4YpasAQ8bFJo1aVIuvKSoeGO_dl-F-HC9mDVV4mdI$ .

Feel free to send us feedback on your experience working with this tool.

Warm regards,
António (also on behalf of João, Lorenzo, Marco, and Mario)

[1] Mota, João, Marco Giunti, and António Ravara. “Java Typestate
Checker”, in Proc. of COORDINATION 2021, LNCS 12717, Springer 2021
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-78142-2_8__;!!IBzWLUs!D49C1U2m4kDdL_vDqxPSXoh_enomFqulAw4YpasAQ8bFJo1aVIuvKSoeGO_dl-F-HC9m8o0FOmQ$

[2] Bacchiani, L., Bravetti, M., Lange, J., Zavattaro, G.: “A Session
Subtyping Tool”, in Proc. of COORDINATION 2021, LNCS 12717, Springer 2021
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-78142-2_6__;!!IBzWLUs!D49C1U2m4kDdL_vDqxPSXoh_enomFqulAw4YpasAQ8bFJo1aVIuvKSoeGO_dl-F-HC9mbpsM0L4$
Tool source files for Linux, Windows and OSx (and binaries for Windows
and OSx).
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://github.com/LBacchiani/session-subtyping-tool__;!!IBzWLUs!D49C1U2m4kDdL_vDqxPSXoh_enomFqulAw4YpasAQ8bFJo1aVIuvKSoeGO_dl-F-HC9mewOnkXI$