[TYPES] [meta] URL rewriting notice

Gabriel Scherer gabriel.scherer at gmail.com
Sat May 14 09:48:35 EDT 2022

Thanks everyone for the feedback,

The UPenn admins have fixed something in the way they implement URL
rewriting, and I hope that the "marked as SPAM or bounced" inconveniences
that several of you have have experienced should go away. Please let me
know (off-list) if you are affected again. (Also: thanks to Benjamin Pierce
for his help talking with the UPenn people.)

Thanks for the feedback on Discourse. Currently we have a mailing-list that
is the same as existed twenty years ago, and as an alternative the Zulip
that is modern, shiny, has an application for smartphones, etc. Some people
prefer the mailing-list (in jest one would say "senior members of our
community"), some the Zulip. I would be hesitant of just adding a third
place, and I don't know whether Discourse should be considered as a
replacement for the mailing-list, or Zulip, or both.
Discourse is a nice tool, but I don't know that it would work as well as
the mailing-list in the role of "reliable old tool". For example: we have
mailing-list archives from 2003 onward in a single place (and older
archives one URL away), how many web forums have 20 years of archives?
Conversely, I can see several ways in which it improves over Zulip (better
searchability, mature moderation tools), but it loses in terms of
immediateness / "instant chat" feeling -- it looks like the Coq Discourse
is seeing much lower volume than the Coq Zulip, perhaps for these subtle
fuzzy reasons. (On the other hand, the experience of the OCaml community
migrating from a mailing-list to Discourse was fairly positive.)
Long story short: nothing that is not a mailing-list is a clear improvement
over a mailing-list for scholarly discussions, so my intuition is to be
conservative and keep the mailing-list working while we can. We can
reconsider in the future if there is clear demand, or if there are signs
that the mailing-list is dying, or if it starts malfunctioning again.

Cheers