[TYPES] Full abstraction of applicative contexts in call-by-value

Sergey Goncharov sergyy at gmail.com
Fri May 19 07:24:58 EDT 2023

Dear Francesco,

to me, the overhead behind the indicated consequence seems to be essentially the same as behind the
claim that applicative bisimilarity coincides with the contextual equivalence.

In the original paper by Abramsky (https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/files/293/lazy.pdf__;!!IBzWLUs!SZc2ydLt6rmd0OC15QUW3eaZwMZAjQAuonkDOCvbZpGEihVz8lCRLFEA1RZ832wm220NZHGw6WriSRynZw64v-0fAQ$ ) he provides in Definition
2.3 an equivalent description of the applicative simulation preorder, which can be easily adapted to the
call-by-value setting. From that definition we see that t would be applicative-smaller-or-equal to s iff
for any values v1, ... , vn if (t v1 ... vn) terminates then (s v1 ... vn) terminates. This is exactly
the definition of the contextual preorder wrt the restricted class of contexts you describe.

Cheers,
Sergey