[TYPES] Why are ACM conference registrations so expensive now?

Martin Lester martin.lester at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 12:13:31 EST 2023

Hi everyone.

I also had noticed this trend of increasing prices. In POPL's case, I
suspect being in central London, which has some of the highest
property prices in Europe, doesn't help.

I guess we should wait for Philippa Gardner's full report. One thing I
would like to know is whether the push towards open access (in my
opinion, a very desirable and overdue development) is leading to the
ACM trying to recoup some lost revenue through increased conference
registration fees.

Thinking about the economics of publishing and value for money...

It's clear from some of the job applications I see and from some
communications with academic staff in other subjects at my
institution, that many people view the ACM and IEEE a providing as
"seal of quality" to journal and conference articles. To get a gold
open access article published in IEEE Access costs $1,950. In
comparison, paying $2,000 for an article in POPL/PACMPL, where it is
more likely to be seen and read by other researchers in my discipline,
seems like quite a good deal!

Yours,

Martin Lester.