[TYPES] Why are ACM conference registrations so expensive now?

Gabriel Scherer gabriel.scherer at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 06:52:52 EST 2023

I think that we could do the following, from the easiest to the
requires-more-work:

1. Ensure that an online attendance option remains available in the future
for cheap. ICFP'23 had free online attendance through Youtube, will this
option remain available in the future? Will it possible to follow the
POPL'24 talks remotely for free and ask questions? Will speakers be allowed
to talk remotely if necessary, at no cost?
  (This is important for our colleagues that cannot afford the plane in the
first place, and for people who wish to reduce travel.)

2. Decide on a budget limit for conference attendance (for example: $1200
for one week including registration, housing and food). In the future,
restrict conference locations to places where we predict that this budget
limit is within reach.

3. Ensure that it is easy to publish at PACMPL without presenting at the
conference. (Then one only has to keep publication costs in check.)

4. Stop assuming that everyone meets in super-events, and collectively
organize more of the smaller, more focused, cheaper events for
complementary scientific interactions.