[TYPES] Why are ACM conference registrations so expensive now?

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Thu Dec 14 11:04:07 EST 2023

> 4. Stop assuming that everyone meets in super-events, and collectively
> organize more of the smaller, more focused, cheaper events for
> complementary scientific interactions.

My understanding is that the cost of events like POPL is indeed directly
linked to its size, because the total price doesn't scale linearly with
the number of participants.  Coupled with the desire to reduce travels,
this seems to argue strongly in favor of decentralization.

Either keeping a single large event (at the same time but a few
different places) or splitting it into several events distributed both
in place and in time.

        Stefan