[TYPES] Why are ACM conference registrations so expensive now?

Guilherme Espada gjespada at fc.ul.pt
Fri Dec 15 07:33:04 EST 2023

Adam Chlipala wrote:

 > at the same as our conferences are applying
 > significant financial cost and volunteer effort to provide what may
 > actually be a net negative.

I will not pass judgment on the rest of your email, but I feel like there
is something I must clarify:

Our 'in-house' AV Team actually *saves* SIGPLAN a fair chunk of money,
in most
cases even in comparison to just having in-room AV fully provided by the
hotel.
It also incorrect to assume that if we stopped recording talks, the tech
issues
would magically disappear.

In addition, recording talks provide a valuable service:
* To the members of the community who cannot afford to attend.
* To the members of other communities who might have an
   interest in some intersectional work.
* To the authors, who greatly appreciate having a recorded version of their
   talk, both for reference, exposure and archival.

I find that often the paper is only half the story. Important context and
implementation details need to be left out to fit page limits. This
restriction gets lifted during presentation. Given we have volunteers who
believe in the mission of making the community more open, and that gladly
provide this service, I don't think there is a good reason to stop
recording.

Espada,
Video Chair PLDI22, POPL23, PLDI23, ICFP23, SPLASH23, POPL24